Tips for Sweet Success on a Low Sugar Budget
- Generally, instead of 1 cup of sugar, you can use ¾ cups of honey. When using honey in baking, adjust the volume of liquid ingredients.
- For baking, do not reduce all the sugar in a recipe, as sugar is often used not only for taste but also for texture. For yeast breads, do not reduce sugar at all as sugar plays the role of activating the yeast.
- For cookies, you can replace ¼ the amount of sugar with pureed fruit and use an equivalently reduced amount of liquid since the puree provides liquid.
- To enhance flavour, rely on cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, almond, ginger and orange, lemon or lime rinds or extracts. If a recipe already includes these, double the amount and reduce the sugar by 25%.
- Include dried fruits or bananas instead of sugar as they naturally add sweetness.
- For baking, up to ¼ of the granulated sugar can be substituted with powdered milk. For example, if a recipe has 1 cup of sugar, then use ¾ cup of sugar and ¼ cup powdered milk.
- For hot beverages, including cinnamon or almond intensifies the sweet flavour. For cold
- beverages, lime or lemon or keeps the taste buds satisfied without the calories!