Nestlé Anglo Dutch Caribbean is on a Sustainability Journey for the Good of the Planet

Back to Press releases
Cappuccino

In recognition of World Environment Day 2021 and this year’s focus on ecosystem preservation, Nestlé Anglo Dutch Caribbean has revealed key achievements in its continuous efforts to attain Zero Green House Gas emissions across all of its operations, and to make 100% of its packaging either recyclable or reusable by the year 2025. 

Nestlé Anglo Dutch Caribbean achieved Zero waste to landfill at its Trinidad and Jamaica sites as at December 2020. This was done via reduction of waste output and conversion of all waste streams to 90% recyclable material. The remaining 10% of non recyclable material is sent for incineration with energy recovery — all performed by local waste management and recycling partners. New initiatives are already underway to reduce Nestlé’s carbon footprint, water and energy consumption even further. 

These are fantastic steps forward for Nestlé, our consumers and the environment. Research has shown that it is the shared environmental footprint of humans that is degrading the ecosystem. Daryle Sankar, Nestlé’s Regional Safety Health & Environment Manager emphasised the importance of this focus for all citizens of the planet, stating that, “As a collective, we must tread more lightly to decrease our impact on the environment by changing what we do, what we consume and the waste we leave behind in order to reduce stress on our ecosystem. This mindset forms part of the core ethos of Nestlé.” 

On the packaging front, Nestlé has transitioned to the use of naturally sourced straws across its entire range of ready-to-drink juice and dairy products in both the Trinidad and Tobago and Jamaica  markets. What’s more, Nestlé Professional will transition to 100% biodegradable cups and lids at all of its commercial locations across the Caribbean in June and July 2021. As a result of these moves, Nestlé will reduce the impact of approximately 45 million plastic straws and 24 million of non bio degradable cups and lids per year.


Daniel Caron, Nestlé Jamaica’s Country Manager and Business Executive Officer of Nestlé Professional praised the team’s efforts to achieve these milestones, saying: “I would like to thank our entire team for making good on our promise to reduce our environmental footprint. In Jamaica, with the government regulation that came into effect on January 1 banning the manufacture or use of any single plastic in commercial quantities including drinking straws made wholly or in part of polyethylene or polypropylene, our team was put to the test,” he said. 

“This was not an easy job, especially given the challenges faced in 2020 within the context of COVID-19.  As a team, we kept our commitment to ourselves, our consumers and our stakeholders, to deliver the best product not just for consumers, but for our planet. This is very close to our hearts, and our purpose as a company,” he said.
Consumers can locate Nestlé’s new naturally sourced straws in supermarkets and shops, while the biodegradable cups and lids can be found wherever Nescafe coffee machines are stationed. 

Nestlé will continue working on a series of initiatives aimed at further improving the sustainability of our operations and reducing non-recyclable packaging material.